Make the most of each question in every interview
Your spokespeople should:
- have excellent media awareness;
- maintain good control of an interview in all circumstances;
- convey clear, appropriate messages at every opportunity.
In terms of subject matter, we want them to:
- use simple language so that what they say is readily understood by their audience;
- provide information that is relevant so that their interviews remain focused;
- follow their pre-defined agenda and deliver the agreed lines-to-take;
- deal with any unexpected challenges seamlessly.
We are looking for these positive personal qualities:
- Outward confidence (without being over-confident).
- An engaging manner and positive public appeal.
- A willingness to be open (to provide answers as far as that is possible).
- A reasoned, authoritative, independent approach.
- An ability to remain calm under pressure.
Spokespeople we train routinely handle questioning from John Humphrys, Justin Webb, Jeremy Paxman and Gavin Esler.
They appear on the Andrew Marr show, Radio 5 Live, The Politics Show, You & Yours, Panorama and Dispatches.
Interviews on the couch for The One Show, Daybreak and BBC Breakfast can be just as challenging.